Thursday, November 12, 2009

My echoes heard for days...

There is no Photographic Documentation for what I am about to tell... and probably just as well too...
The Dog fell 10 feet off a staircase at a friend's country house last weekend!!! Yep. But, there was NO CRASH-BOOM!!! Nope. Not at all. Somehow, The Dog's mighty hefty 65 lbs. of spoiled & recalcitrant Weimaraner... coupled with Nature's ever-acting Gravity... orchestrated The Dog back up & onto his all-fours... an acrobatic gesture lightly akin to what circus performers do after a Death Defying Leap off a trapeze. The Dog had made an ill-executed rearward march around a little iron gate on a landing to a terrace. It's a bit different for entertainment value. The Thrills & Chills were something else. However, I do not consider this A Stupid Dog Trick. During The Dog's unexpected change of level... shall we say... I had cause to let out a monstrously loud...
Ohhhhh! Moooszzzsesss!!!
...which resounded for hours afterwards throughout the local mountain valleys. I must say, this was a very effective alarm. Suddenly, between blinks of horror AND leaping to save My Dog, 10 house-guests gathered immediately by my trembling side to give whatever Aid & Succor to the fallen animal they could. I was easier to attend to. All I needed was a LARGE white wine. I could have cared less that it was ONLY 10:17 in the morning.
But, where was The Dog?... they all asked. 
Oh, well, gainfully restored to an Upright Position, The Dog had trotted off to continue with either of Two Dog-in-the-country Options...
A) continue with his Terrorist Campaign against the insidious castle cats...
OR...
B) off to sniff ca-ca di capra on the trails in the olive groves above my friend's medieval keep.
I felt like a fool for having wasted a good yell for That Dog. Hopefully, it will be his last circus-style performance for a while. My 60 year old heart might not stand another shock like that. White wine can only do so much, you know? Gads.




No comments:

Post a Comment